31.3.10

the search for the perfect clear glass lamp

clear glass lamps

I refer to it as "the one that got away". Yes, I am talking about a lamp. My "missed connection" of the lighting world. Back in the fall of 2009, I was doing some usual browsing at Homegoods. That day, I made a great purchase and bought a chaise lounge on clearance for $250. That same day, I saw an amazing lamp. I photographed and sent it to Susie. She too loved it. I was faced with a dilemma: the lamp was $60, I was already spending $250. I did not buy it. To this day, I still regret not buying the lamp. It was perfect. Clear cylindrical glass base with a cork insert in the top of the glass and a linen drum shade. There something about having a clear lamp that just glows and emits just the right light.  I have since found anything that even compares. In my recent web search, I have found some that are nice, but way too expensive and still not as good. The above table lamps range from $40-$400, yet none are still quite right. And then I thought, could I make this? They sell DIY lamp kits. All I would need is some kind of glass cylinder, a cork piece for the top, and to buy a lamp kit and a shade. Hmmm, maybe I will add it to my "to make"  list. If anyone knows of a source for an affordable glass cylinder lamp or has experience making a lamp before, please, do tell me.

Until then, I will continue in my quest for the perfect clear glass lamp, and my quest for the perfect bloody mary. (Irrelevant? I think not)
-L-

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Bloody Marys, have and will always be relelevant. BTW I bought two adorable lamps for my entry, Christmas Tree Shop purchses no doubt.

Jon Morris said...

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”

Alexander Graham Bell says there will be other lamps.