15.3.10

olive eats: prosciutto wrapped dates

[photo credit: Sang An, epicurious.com]

One of our readers, Sarah, commented on the olive loves: birthday parties post, asking about the recipe for prosciutto wrapped dates.  I must admit that I originally meant to imitate the prosciutto wrapped figs that Lucy first made for me at Thanksgiving, but when I got home from the grocery store, I realized I had purchased dates, not figs.  I decided to look up some date recipes on epicurious.com, and the winning recipe was the dates stuffed with goat cheese, wrapped in basil and prosciutto.  I will also say that this recipe can be adapted using any type of dried fruit + cheese + meat combination.  Over Christmas, my sister Jocelyn wrapped dates in bacon, and I think her take on this recipe has has been my favorite so far.  Then again, wrapping anything in bacon is pretty much cheating.  Unless you're a veggie, in which case its disgusting.

I adapted this recipe by halving the dates, and being generous with the unflavored Chevre.  I think using an herb infused Chevre would be a good addition as well.  We placed the treats under the broiler for just a few minutes (between 3 - 6), checking them often.  When using bacon, the process takes longer, and the fat from the bacon is quite hot so they should be cooled before serving.

This appetizer went so quickly I honestly didn't have time to snap a photo.  You'll have to excuse the borrowed one.

I should also note that although Epicurious is not my favorite source for recipes, the capability to search by ingredient is something I use pretty often, and am extremely grateful for.  If there is a specific veggie on sale at Stop and Shop, I use the Epicurious App on my iphone to look up recipes that I can use with the sale vegetable.  Or, if you participate in a CSA (I am doing one this summer), and your weekly grocery bag is full of an ingredient you are less than familiar with, its a great way to find related recipes.  Or, if something in your refrigerator is going to spoil quickly...i.e. buttermilk, you can search 'buttermilk' as an ingredient and get recipes for biscuits, salad dressings, puddings, all that will allow you to incorporate buttermilk.

Hoping that it is less rainy in your neck of the woods.
-S-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sus! I may have to disagree with the statement about bacon wrapped around vegetables being "disgusting"....Have you ever tried Bacon wrapped Water Chesnuts? If not then it is a must try. Every Christmas we make this variation....and I don't mean the nut but the tumur vegetable that grows in Chinese marshes. It's great, especially when the bacon is extra crispy because it counter acts the juicyness lightness of the water chesnut.

Ashley xox

Kate said...

Bacon wrapped water chestnuts are awesome. Those dates w/proscuitto look SO GOOD.