3.3.10

olive salvages: wicker chair

Last night I was on my way to a Gallery Night Meeting behind Hope High School on Hallsey Street.  Although I was running a bit late, I had time to make one important stop on the way to the meeting.  As I zipped past Hope High School, I spotted a few pieces of furniture on the curb.  Naturally, I stopped to take a look.  Trash picking/dumpster diving is something I learned to do at an early age.  Having a mother who appreciates a good deal has taught me to keep my eyes peeled, and take note of local trash collection dates.  Seeing as my mom, Adele, grew up in a family of 12 (that's right, 10 children), she knows how to make the most of trash treasures.  I remember as a child having a schoolroom in my screened in porch that was decorated completely with these types of finds.  A classroom sized chalk board from a nearby school closing, old desks and mismatched chairs from a neighbor's clutter removal....all of these things were entirely free.  I wouldn't have noticed this at age 7...nor would I have cared where these items came from.  I still carry this attitude with me today, and I believe that with a good cleaning, and sometimes a refinishing, many found items can be turned into functional, and beautiful objects to be used on a daily basis.  In fact, the mirror in my bedroom was another one of these great finds.  With a sanding and a repainting ($2.00 Craft Paint from Michael's in a neutral color), the mirror looked brand new.

This wicker chair pictured above is the chair I salvaged.  It was originally white, and has been painted blue.  Although the paint is worn off, I am growing fond of the weathered look.  It is comfortable, and in perfect condition, and is a great addition to my bedroom.  It is a great place to store my purse and jacket as I walk in the room.  What do you think?  Should I refinish it?  Let me know....I'll have to research some good techniques.

Turning trash into treasure is a cheap thrill.
-S-

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Turning trash into treasure is not only a cheap thrill, but a timeless quote that motivates me to be a better person.

I know you have fetish for cleaning, borderline OCD. That said, refinish, make it your own so you don't feel like the person who sat there before you.

-Your screened in porch summer co-counselor from Herschel Woods Lane. Throwback to summers of the late 80s.

Anonymous said...

I say refinish!

Debbie said...

I vote for refinishing that cute chair---and then add a pillow!
It would look nice on my new screen porch that I plan to build in MI.