16.3.10

hey, sew sister



 The designer modeling her creation

I come from a pretty creative and artistic family. Painters, crafters, architects, designers, gardeners, photographers, builders, and the latest from my generation, a seamstress. My older (middle) sister Emma has recently begun a hobby in sewing. We all took up sewing at one point as our mother used to sew a lot, she thought it would be a good skill to have. I took a class and made a dress(so ugly but I still have it) and went on to make pajama pants as Christmas gifts for all my friends. Grace claims to have sewed, but probably really just embroidered and patched some torn hippie jeans.


Emma has gotten a little more sophisticated in her skills as of late. For Christmas, she made us all flannel bathrobes. Taking advantage of living in Los Angeles, she has recently enrolled in a sewing class at Otis College of Art in Design in her very little free time. So far, she has made the above dress and canvas tote which is perfect for the beach just blocks away from her Santa Monica apartment. She also does projects at home and is working on another dress which is very much in progress, below.

fabric selection
  dress lining
final product (a head turning dress, is this why you picked it, Em?)

When I asked her what sparked her interest in sewing, she said  "I just was always telling people not to buy things and telling them that I could make that myself, and I really wanted to make things that I couldn't find in stores." A wise woman that Emma Gardner.Watch out for her clothing line/Etsy shop, right Em?

When are you going to make my dress? :)
-L-

No comments: