25.3.10

olive loves diy

DIY= Do it yourself.  My mom and I stumbled on a roadblock last week, when trying to hang my pots and pans in the new apartment.  I brought with me my old pot rack, which we quickly decided would not work.  Given that my place was built in 1809, the construction is plaster and lathe, or as some of you are more familiar, the kind of wall that crumbles when you try to nail into it.  Now, there are ways around this, and you can hang heavy things with ease by using screws, but we didn't want to chance it with a pot rack that gets used frequently.  So, here is what we divised out of these two things:


















Copper water pipe that you can purchase at a hardware store, and the copper brackets that go along to anchor the pipe in place.  While taking the afternoon off to go down to Newport, my mom and I stopped in Home Depot on the way back to the apartment.  We had a nice employee help us cut the copper pipe there in the store to size.  For the hooks to hang the pans, he recommended garden "S" hooks.   Here is the result:



Not too shabby!  I have two windows in my kitchen, and they both now have the retrofitted, STURDY (since the screws are anchored in the wood casing of the window) pot rack!  Total cost for the pipe, brackets and "S" hooks was somewhere around $30.  The result looks fantastic, and I couldn't be more happy since we came up with it ourselves.  Actually, I should be thanking my mom, who for her entire life, has thought of creative DIY projects or solutions, this one specifically.  Thanks Mom! 

Do you have any DIY projects that you are proud of?  Please share!

I'm leaving you with a picture of spring.  This past weekend, All of the spring-time flowers bloomed around my yard.  It's such a beautiful sight!

-G-

1 comment:

Kate said...

Beautiful! Sadly, they're probably frozen solid now. But we're looking at close to 70 again by the end of next week...!