26.2.10

tilapia taco thursday

Last night, the girls of olive (sans Gretchen -feel better!) got together on the East Side for some delicious fish tacos. Susie found the recipe and had already tried it out a couple of weeks ago. Despite both of our tired states, we managed to pull together a pretty awesome flavorful, healthy, affordable meal. In fact, they were so good, the proclomation "they don't even need cheese" came out. That statement is a rarity at olive dinners. While I was waiting for Susie, I figured I would whip up an appetizer. I had made salsa on Sunday night and hadn't used much of it so I used some of the extra tortillas and made my own chips.

I had never done it before but figured it couldn't be too hard. Oil+tortilla+salt+lime juice=homemade delicious tortilla chips. I don't think I'll be purchasing tostitos ever again. When you're frying the tortillas, it goes pretty quickly so keep your eye on them as they can burn in no time. My first batch came out a little more crispy than the second-trial and error is the best way to learn of course.

On to the main course. The taco itself is composed of a tortilla, white fish (we used tilapia), sour cream with lime juice, jalapenos, scallions, red cabbage and cilantro. The fish is traditionally battered and breaded, but we cut that step out and simply sauteed the fish with garlic and scallions. Cheese is optional and honestly not needed as the dish is fresh and flavorful. Pile the ingredients high, fold tortilla and dive in.
If you've made tacos before, you probably already know this: your kitchen will be a disaster. Well worth it of course, but with the chopping, sauteeing, and the construction of the taco, you're bound to make a mess...

and your table might look like this...

but you will be happy as can be.

olé
-L-

No comments: