19.2.10

it's science!






















[photo credit: The Evolution Store]

Growing up without cable forced me to watch PBS as a child (thanks mom and dad). Such programs as "Bill Nye the Science Guy", "Nova" and "Reading Rainbow" were at the top of my list. As a result, I became a bit of a nerd. Elementary school Field trips to the Museum of Science in Boston were "it" for me.  Even if I went back today, I would probably find myself just as enthralled as I was as a child.

With that said, this scientific interest from my childhood never quite translated into wanting to study it, but instead just observe, enjoy and  marvel at those who DO in fact understand the make-up of our universe.

Museum trips and exploring nature are enough for me. Now I find myself not only intriqued in the content of science and natural history museums, but also in their aesthetic appeal. This has led to an interest in utilizing science relative to design such as botanical prints and posters, bell jars, and perhaps even a preserved insect.
design hypothesis
Interesting Scientific "objets d'arte"




 



















[photo credit: Apartment Therapy] Bell jar montage  
















[photo credit:Apartment Therapy] Design experimentation

I can remember being in complete awe as an 8 year old in New York City, Soho to be exact, visiting a specialty store known as Evolution, a shop dedicated to taxidermy, skeletons, anatomical diagrams, fossils, and the like. The shop in itself is a museum, full of incredible curiosities, enough to keep the attention of even the most skeptic critic. I left the store that day with a shark tooth, and a candy coated insect of sorts, poor choice. Ok, I would probably still get one if I went back today.

Here at our very own Rhode Island School of Design in Providence, there is a great natural science resource we hope to check out soon, the Edna W. Lawrence Nature Lab. The lab was founded in 1927 by Lawrence, an alumni and faculty member, to provide a resource for future students to not only be inspired by nature, but also to be able to study it for the Natural Science Illustration program at the school. The great thing about the nature lab at RISD is that there are no "do not touch" signs; everything is meant to be handled and studied. From fossils to feathers the lab has quite a bit of content for such a small space. We can't wait to visit the lab. 
 


Learn actively, experiment cautiously, and never stop exploring.
-L-

No comments: