23.2.10

great find: faux bamboo desk/vanity

The Salvation Army in Providence on Pitman St. is full of great furniture, and most of the time is a steal compared to what you would pay at an antique or consignment store. There is a huge room in the back just full of couches, chairs, desks, tables, cabinets, and accessories waiting to be snagged by locals, students, and bargain shoppers alike. Back in January, I was perusing the store and I stumbled upon a desk. The color was an eyesore and I passed by it at first. I made my way back to the desk because I saw it had potential to be something wonderful.

Salvation Army purchase

I live in a pretty tiny apartment and my bedroom is even smaller. I also live with men and a pretty horrible cat. These factors alone prevent me from being able to display my nice things. So, as any design-obsessed invididual would do, I bought the desk, despite the lack of space. For a mirror, a desk, a bench, and stool, it only cost $96.00 with tax (Susie later informed me you can bargain with them which I will do next time).

desk from 1st dibs

I picture the desk in a bright lacquered red finish, similar to above, but am willing to take other suggestions. I plan on keeping the original hardware but just polishing it up to make it brighter.For upholstery,I was thinking something like a black and white canopy stripe fabric or just a simple natural canvas. It doesn't need to match any particular room color as it won't be able to come out from storage until my next apartment (this summer).


fabrics from fabric.com

The final results will be posted when it's finally nice enough to actually refinish the piece (hopefully soon). If anyone has any furniture refinishing/upholstery tips, please comment below, I'm a first-timer.
-L-

No comments: