16.2.10

olive loves: salt


[photo credit: Filip Horovat, NY Times]

Adding specialty salt to basic foods is a way to transform a staple ingredient (read: bread, salad, pasta) into a designer meal.  I promote the use of kitchen staples, i.e., frozen spinach, and cooking them well, adding a specialty ingredient, and eating the finished product out of a well made, or at the least, a nice looking, vessel.  This particular salt, Piranske Soline, is being mentioned for two reasons.  Firstly, it is an olive kitchen staple, that has been added to nearly every meal we've shared since its purchase one week ago.  Secondly, my one pound container of Piranske Soline found at Homegoods in East Providence, Rhode Island, with a price tag of $4.99.  Not only is the ingredient unground and hand harvested, but it also comes at a reasonable price, in an accessible retail location, and is impeccably packaged.  In doing the natural, post-Homegoods 'let me see what kind of deals I just picked up,' I found this.  I have to say that this NY Times article was one of my better post-Homegoods finds; not only did I get an excellent deal, but I am now the proud owner of an internationally harvested salt, made by a company with a longstanding tradition of excellence.  

Enjoy your salt.  But please use it responsibly.
-S-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love salt....savory over sweet, any day!

- Ashley (Avid reader of the Olive blog)