7.5.10

olive covets: apothecary cabinets and card catalogs

{image via designsponge}

So I may or may not have a list of furniture to own in my lifetime. On said list, among a few other key pieces, are an apothecary cabinet or a card catalog. They are too similar to own both, so yes, I only want either or. I was inspired to post by the above image from the ever so popular "Design on a Dime: 2010" challenge. Once a place to keep library cards and medicinal concoctions, these pieces are now pretty obsolete as far as their orginal uses go. Now, I imagine having one in a bathroom to keep all your different hair, makeup and shower products, or in the office, another space which is always in need of good storage and organization. The only other practical use I see for them would to be an endless set of junk drawers, or you could get really crazy and put your bras and underwear in separate drawers organized by style and color... At What Cheer Antiques in Providence, they have an enormous apothercary cabinet in their shop in which each drawer is labled and contains trinkets for sale like vintage buttons, postcards, door hardware, and keychains. These were my favorite examples I found browsing the internet. Enjoy!


{apartment therapy}


{from the blog, Being-red}


{elledecor magazine}


{poetic home}

Perhaps it's just the combining of the idea of adaptive reuse and interior design that I love so much and that it's not typical "furniture" that you would find at any old store. I prefer the darker toned pieces in these images for some reason. Maybe because apothecaries and libraries lend themselves to a more dimmed environment. I just wish I could find one on Craigslist or at the Salvation Army for a good deal.

Happy Friday

 -L-

No comments: